Thursday 5 December 2013

Minor Project: Texture Tests- Maya vs Mudbox

Whilst making my UV's on my characters, I've tried out making a quick experiment on which software to use when it comes to texturing my characters. I've tried these out on both Maya and Mudbox using the sea cow as a starter with its UV's already laid. I've only applied the textures as a shader on Maya, but the results show the seam lines where the UV's have been cut. As for Mudbox, I haven't used  it in a while so its a bit rusty for me but I've painted the textures on (without the highlighted belly tones) as a stencil and projection paint straight onto the model, except the eyes. This works pretty well as the seam lines are no longer visible which I may use for my characters at a later stage. Here are the images: 

Maya Texture Tests (Seam lines noticeable and circled in red):



Front
Front
Side
Side
Back
Back
Bottom
Bottom
Top
Top
Mudbox Tests (Seam lines are unnoticeable):

Front

Side

Back
Top
Bottom
Test projection painted map exported from Mudbox
 Also when looking at the exported files from Mudbox onto Photoshop, I've played around with the layers it gave me. I've taken out the shading layer and below is the result which I quite like and whether could this effect be replicated on Maya. :D


Shading layer taken out


Very early experiments (Using a cow model to test out the textures):

Front
Side
Back
Top 
Bottom

No comments:

Post a Comment